Thursday, May 10, 2012

For Wyatt

Yesterday at 3:52 pm, one of my oldest and dearest friends gave birth to her first child, Wyatt Alexander.

My birthday week buddy!  

Wyatt's birth yesterday brought to mind this quote that I posted on Facebook a month or so ago: 

"People with a scarcity mentality tend to see everything in terms of win-lose. There is only so much; and if someone else has it, that means there will be less for me. The more principle-centered we become, the more we develop an abundance mentality, the more we are genuinely happy for the successes, well-being, achievements, recognition, and good fortune of other people. We believe their success adds to rather than detracts from our lives." 
                                                 - Stephen Covey


I have been praying for an abundance mentality since I read this quote, and yesterday God provided. I woke up yesterday morning with the purest sense of anticipation and joy for my friend on the day she was scheduled to meet her son. No envy, no resentment, no "I care, but please don't send me baby photos" attitudes. Let me assure you: this is only because God answered my prayer.

Despite my attempts to deny it at times, I'm human. I can be petty, jealous, vindictive, and mean. I can (and sometimes do) think horrible thoughts about cute pregnant women and their
stupid cute babies. Frankly, if you were having a baby shower tomorrow and invited me, I'd probably pretend to be sick. But the miracle of an abundance mentality allows us to rejoice in the happiness of other people, acknowledging that their joy makes our world more joyful. Wyatt's birth, and his parents' good fortune, adds to my life - it doesn't take anything from me. (Besides - I'm fairly certain that there isn't a heavenly baby factory that is in danger of running out of stock any time soon.)

So the day already felt miraculous enough and then something beautiful happened. My friend posted on my Facebook wall that she was required to fast for the 8 hours leading up to her C-section, and she was calling this time the Kim fast. When she was tempted to complain about being hungry or thirsty, she was going to pray for me instead. I'm honestly not sure what to say about that sort of kindness. 
My friend, who had every reason to be preoccupied with her own joy, chose to share in my sorrow by remembering me as she fasted. This is grace.

As I was verbally processing this whole story with a friend yesterday, I was reminded of Paul's charge in Romans 12:15 to "rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those who mourn." By the grace of God, my friend and I experienced that yesterday: she, mourning for me, and I, rejoicing for her. Like I said, something beautiful happened.


So welcome to the world, Wyatt Alexander. You have already made it a more beautiful place and we rejoice in your life and the future that awaits you.

No comments:

Post a Comment