Friday, August 3, 2012

Levity as an act of faith (I'm afraid of the bus)

I just did something scary. I turned in my monthly parking pass. Just walked right up and handed it over. Even managed to stay strong in the face of Richie the Garage Manager's goodbye like I was headed off to war, never to be heard from again. That's right. I am officially a bus rider. Oh man, I will be heard from again, won't I?!

The bus. Marvel at my bravery with me.

Being on someone else's schedule.

No more stops at the miracle that is a drive-thru Starbucks that opens at 5am.

I concede radio control, temperature autonomy, and the privacy I require to sing loudly. Or really at all.

Maybe I should run and get that parking pass back.

No.

I'm strong. I can do this. 

The bus! It'll be great.

No more frothing at the mouth at the absolute morons who take to the road in Northern Virginia.

Think of all the books I'll have time to read! 

I'll save money, reduce my carbon footprint, decrease my stress level.

Picture it with me: I'm calm, zen-like, discussing today's Washington Post that I actually managed to read beyond page A1. Foul words at fellow human beings, dearly loved by God and sharing the road with me? I can't even imagine! I start my day with a (BPA-free) bottle of home-brewed iced tea and a piece of fruit, enjoyed leisurely while watching the tranquil beauty of metro DC pass by my window. Pay $5.15 for what basically amounts to a large cup of water, a tea bag, and a calorie-bomb passing as a scone? You must be crazy!

You won't even recognize me.

The inaugural bus ride is this afternoon. Yes, my man drove me to work this morning. And okay, so maybe I already walked by the bus stop just to make sure I knew where it was. And maybe I had dreams all night long of running after the bus as it drove all over town.

But I promise, I'm brave.

Life's hard enough. Laugh by faith like it's all gonna be alright someday. - Beth Moore

Not this bus, unfortunately

No comments:

Post a Comment